Wednesday, March 16, 2011

It's been a while....


So, it has been a LONG time since I posted anything here on RR. This is due in part to the fact that I have been trying to keep up my own blog that I began last year and also because of the return to classes and the rush to prepare things for ordination. In that time I have been reading a variety of books off and on, but haven't made the time to post anything about them. So I'll start doing so now.

Last fall, as I was finally getting used to the reality that I'm a deacon, I was given a few suggestions on books to read - three on Blessed Teresa of Calcutta and one on St. Therese. Being that I already had a relationship with Therese, I picked that one up first. It was written by Fr. Marc Foley, OCD and is entitled "The Context of Holiness". Essentially the point of the book was to integrate psychology and spirituality rather than keep them separate as we can often try to do (and rightly at points). He spoke of the psychological issues that Therese had to deal with in her own life and brought the spiritual level to them, which was a really interesting aspect for me to see. I had read The Story of a Soul and other writings on the life of Therese, but hadn't really seen it in this light before. The whole basis of the book is that our daily lives are not something to be endured but are actually the context of our own holiness - the decisions we make are the things that can allow us to grow in our union with God. Coming in around 100 pages or so, the book was quite readable and spiritual uplifting for me in dealing with my own trials and struggles in the midst of daily life.

No comments: