Thursday, September 10, 2009

Present Moment

Fr. Jean-Pierre De Caussade is a spiritual master, without a doubt. Under the guidance of my spiritual director I read Fr. De Caussade’s book, “The Joy of Full Surrender,” which is 201 pages. This book is one in which I am planning to keep throughout the years to read it over and over again. “The Joy of Full Surrender” is a book that really brings forth the beauty and treasure of surrendering to God and living fully in the present moment. This book, unlike others on the same subject, went further than simply saying it is a good idea to live in the present moment. Within this one book, Fr. De Cussade goes into depth about the reasons why one ought to fully surrender to God. He then speaks on the ‘state of being surrendered to God’s Will’ and God’s protection for those who do surrender totally to Him. The last two sections of the book speak of the trials of those who do surrender and the assurance of God’s constant, never ending help.
As many of my friends know, I have wanted to really strive after living in the present moment and surrendering totally to God’s will. However, I have been very strong headed and stubborn as well. Yet, while I was reading this book, I become more and more on fire to live the way Fr. De Cussade was speaking of. Although I am still stubborn in many ways, I can honestly say that after reading this book I have not yet stopped striving each and every day to live in the present moment and reach for holy indifference. This book is, without a doubt, a must read.

No comments: