Friday, February 10, 2012

Friday Thoughts - The Ankler

I had three other blog posts planned for this week with more than enough time to write them because I had read ahead in class. Come Monday night, my year changed. I decided to do what I do most every Monday night {no not take over the world, that's Thursdays} I played basketball. Basketball has been my favorite sport since I was a child. Before I understood the full reality of professional basketball, i.e. it helps to be tall, I wanted to be a professional basketball player.

Ten minutes into the game, I go up for a layup, which is rare due to my aforementioned lack of height. At some point on the way up or the way down, my foot forgot to do its job and keep footing and my ankle gave way. It happens in games all the time, a twist here and sprain there. Nothing big, except for that night. I came to ground writhing in pain I looked at my ankle in utter horror. My foot had turn inward a full 90 degrees making its best Linda Blair impression. My fellow players went into panic mode. They called for a young priest, because all the old priests were asleep. It was after eight thirty. I received Anointing of the Sick for the first time. I tell you; it was a grace filled moment being on the other side receiving the sacrament as opposed to watching other people receive it. The comfort of the spirit was surely there and helped
me to patiently endure what came ahead.

One of my fellow basketballers hailed an ambulance with his arm out and robust whistle. In came not only EMTs but a doctor. Uh oh. A doctor is on the scene? They said they'd never seen anything like this. EMT's have seen some crazy things for sure. So when I heard this I knew I was going to be the freakshow of the day.

"So what's your name," said the EMT that accompanied me into the ambulance.

"Deacon Kyle," I responded.

"So your gonna be a priest," he asked while jotting down my health insurance information.

"Sure am."

This starts many conversations for me, never did I think I would be having it in an ambulance with the EMT caring for me. I used it as a jumping ground to see where the Lord was in his life. He hasn't been very faithful to going to mass. His work is his life to the detriment of any romantic relationship. I definitely loves to help people who are in situations like myself. Please pray for him, either he's called to the priesthood or he has met the girl that will help him to heaven. Either way he needs our prayers.

I arrive at the emergency room of University Hospital, the teaching hospital. I became the specimen of the day. Look at this guy's injury. Something new. I was kindly given cc's of something that can be sold for good money on the street. That gift was repeat about 10 minutes later. I was in a kindly state. Until the petite blonde doctor, let me know she was going to place my foot back where it should be. {I hadn't listen to my mother. I didn't put it back where I found it.} I experienced what a 10 on the pain scale feels like after an unknown number of cc's of some drug was flowing through my system. I appreciated there the depth of the faithfulness of the Japanese martyrs we had celebrated that day. They went through much greater pain without meds and for the sake of their belief in Jesus Christ.

Now, it was time for surgery. They wouldn't let me wear my scapular, which I was not a fan of, but I acquiesced. I went under anesthesia and ... and ... {cough} (cough} {heave} {heave} My eyes weren't yet able to open and apparently neither were my lungs. I was having an unenjoyable {not that they're ever enjoyable} asthma attack. In my asthmatic anesthetized daze I could see some sort of contraption on my ankle area, but it was too blurry to become reality yet. The nurse told me I couldn't get my CAT scan until my breathing was controlled. I never like cats, but I did my best to steady my breathing over a 45 minute period.

My reward was received. My first CAT scan. The technician mentioned something about not being wise and I responded with, "In Proverbs, it says, "Wisdom is the fear of the Lord." I took both him and me off guard. Post surgery Scripture quoting ... only from a seminarian. We had a good little conversation about Scripture, before after my scan, which, thank God, involved no scratches or litter boxes.

Finally, I arrived at my room. It was a private room with a window overlooking the lit Superdome, excuse me, for trademark purposes, the Mercedes-Benz Superdome. It was in the light of the room that I could finally see what the surgery entailed. Two metal rods protrude from my shin while another protrudes perpendicularly from heel. Inside, the ace bandage and other medical linens is a cage called an external fixator that is intended to keep my bones in the right place. No more dislocation, it says to me.

Here is where my final road to priesthood begins ... welcome to the life of THE ANKLER.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

love it. entertaining, witty, and light hearted =)

frstevenbruno said...

Thanks for the update about what happened. I've been praying for you and will continue to do so. Hope you heal quickly and thoroughly.
Fawda Steve

Anonymous said...

Aww Deacon Kyle!! I'm so sorry to hear about that!! I'll be praying for you!!! I can't wait to see you at the March For Life Reunion!!

Katie (your fellow crip! Haha)