Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Wherein Deacon Kyle Puts His Money Where His Mouth Is

I have a lot of ideas, thoughts, you know those things in your head that you respond to by saying, "Hey, I like that.  I should tell somebody."  I have those thoughts often.  This place is a forum for some of them.  One, in particular, has come to the fore as of late.  This one.

I'm in a new parish.  This parish school has a much smaller library, but still has the accelerated reading program the previous school had.  The Percy Jackson and Harry Potter books are well worn and have gone through many hands, no doubt.  Again, this irks me.  These school children are being formed by teenage warlocks who use poor means to achieve good ends and modern teenage Greek demi-gods.  (I personally was formed, other than the Redwall series, by comic book super-heroes, who have their own issues.  That's another post.)

The Lord put it on my heart to do something.  So I put my money where my mouth was.  I started searching on this wonderful consumer interweb for the full collection of the Redwall series.  I found it on ebay and won it.  Seventeen books of good teen fiction are getting ready to enter the 20 shelf library below.   Boy am I excited.

I share this with you not to brag or puff myself up (or at least so I say to myself).  I mean share this with you because I am putting my money where my mouth is and where the Lord is leading me.

Now let formative literature spring forth from the loins of the library!

P.S. If it so moves you to donate for other good read materials such as lives of the saints feel free to contact me.

No comments: