Tuesday, January 8, 2013

The Top Ten Books Read in 2012, #5

Book #5 has garnered one of the most popular posts on this blog, Trains are Not Safe Places. Agatha Christie's (the only other author to make a repeat appearance on the top ten) The Murder on the Orient Express is an exercise in the masterful craft of confusing the reader.

The characters are rich and greatly described. The setting, hence the reference, makes for a great place to do a character study because once it's set it doesn't change.

It was my introduction to Hercule Poirot. I have now watched one season of the BBC television show Poirot due to enjoyment of this detective. He is the synthesis of Arsene Lupin and Sherlock Holmes. He is both suave and deftly deductive.

This is my second Christie novel and probably one of her best. She might not make the list again. I started from the top and fear that I have only down to go, but I'm looking to be surprised. I haven't even enter the world of Ms. Marple.

No comments: